Friday, May 18, 2012

God’s Been Good to Me

I can’t go a day longer without letting you know how good God is to little ole me.  This song by Crystal Lewis explains exactly how I feel. 

More specifically, I really enjoyed my whirlwind visit of 10 days in Atlanta visiting 20 families.  I drove from Lithia Springs, to Lawrenceville, to Cumming, to Villa Rica, to Norcross to everywhere in between.  I have such a great family and caring friends.  God used them to care for me in very specific ways.

Ever since we moved here nine months ago, it seems like I’ve been making a shopping list for whenever I would be able to go back to the States.  My list was much longer than my budget!  And unanticipated travelling costs really ate into my pocketbook before I ever set foot into the first store.  But God knew all of that and provided everything that I needed – even down to olive oil and hair clips. 

We ran out of olive oil the day before I went to Atlanta, but I didn’t buy more assuming that Enrique wouldn’t need it in my absence.  When I got to my Dad’s, I found a bottle of unopened olive oil that I had stored in the closet.

I am growing out my hair so hair accessories were on my list.  When we moved here, my hair was too short for clips and such so I left them all at my dad’s.  I had forgotten about them and was pleased to find them!
There are a few Christian book stores here, but nothing as awesome as LifeWay!  I went a little crazy buying $7.99 movies, $5 cds, and $1 packs of note cards.  I gladly paid the $80, but started to feel buyer’s remorse as I drove on to my next store.  That night, I began looking through some of the stuff that we didn’t bring last August and found all of the note cards and cds that I need so I returned practically everything two days later.

The credit back to my check card took longer than usual which prevented me from shopping for five days.  I was frustrated with this restriction, but then saw that it was God’s way to protect me from buying more stuff either that I didn’t need or that He was going to provide.

Unfortunately, I tend not to listen to God and do things my own way.  Since I didn’t see the money in my account and really wanted to go shopping at the thrift store, I moved some money around and drove to half-off day.  Even though the pajamas for David on my list were only $1.50 (for the top and bottom), the very next day a friend gave David some brand new pjs as a gift.

God also used family and friends to bless me with three new tops; three home cooked meals; eight times to go out to eat; toys for David; gas for the car; an awesome tour of Chick-fil-A headquarters; and money to buy a much wanted purse and shoes, and pay to check my two suitcases at the airport.

While at the airport today, I must share a few more examples of God spoiling me. 
  • I weighed my suitcases at home and each piece weighed between 40 and 42 pounds (40 lbs. is the max; if you go over, there is a $25 charge.  I know this because that’s one of the travelling fees I experienced on my way to the States).  When I got to the airport, they were both a few pounds below the limit which allowed to me put some of the stuff I was carrying in my hand into the suitcase.
  • You know how for international flights, you’re supposed to get to the airport three hours ahead of time?  I got there just in time, three minutes before they started boarding.
  • We travelled on Spirit which is a no-thrills airline. The seats recline ½ inch and are very small.  If you want to choose your seats or enjoy one of the limited larger seats, it costs about $30 for each “luxury”.  Even though I didn’t request the roomier seats or pay to pick where we sit, David and I got to sit on the third row in the big seats (two seats per row versus three)!
  • On the way to the States, David’s ears and my head hurt upon descent even though neither of us was sick.  I was dreading that to happen again –especially since we were both a little sick with runny noses and congestion – but there was no pain whatsoever.  As a bonus, David slept the majority of the six-hour trip.


Sleeping in the roomy seat with Buddy, the dog.
Please take five minutes to listen to the lyrics of the song that I mentioned at the beginning of this blog entry.  I am humbled by God taking care of every detail of my life and loving me unconditionally.