Sunday, May 27, 2012

Food

When you think of Latin food, "spicy" might come to mind, but not in Costa Rica.  The food here is just the way I like it - mild.  Overall, I like the comida típica, or homemade Costa Rican food.  We like to eat at sodas which are little mom and pop restaurants with affordable prices.  A staple item on the menu is black beans and rice, or gallo pinto.  This item is consumed at breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  While available at all sodas, you can also find it on the breakfast menu at Wendy’s, Subway, and McDonald’s!
Plantain, gallo pinto, and scrambled eggs.
One day, I ordered a casado (meat, two sides, gallo pinto, and salad) at a soda.  While I was waiting on my food, I was brought some tortilla chips to munch on.  At Mexican restaurants, you’re used to chips and salsa, right?  Well, when he brought me the chips, they already had some “sauce” drizzled on them…mayonnaise and ketchup!

Another day, Kelsey and I went to a different soda and as we ate, we noticed an unrecognizable food under the heating lamps.  The owner informed us that it was a plantain split down the middle with melted cheese.  No thanks!

In March, we went to an awesome arts and crafts festival where lots of food stands offered a variety of fare.  I ordered the patacones with shredded beef and guacamole.  Patacones are fried, flattened slices of unripe banana used as a base to be topped with the aforementioned beef and guacamole and/or beans and cheese.  Mmmm!

I've also enjoyed eating my own trout that I caught and Enrique liked drinking a pipa fría (fifth video from the top).

While almost everything that you want to buy is accessible here, American brands are expensive!  When I first moved here, I bought what I was used to - Campbell's, Planter's, Smucker's, etc, but now I try to buy local brands to cut back on the prices.  Other products that are expensive are American apple sauce, peanut butter, and (Canadian) maple syrup.  There is only brand of maple syrup and it costs $31 for a pint!  That's liquid gold, my friend.