Thursday, October 27, 2011

Things that I didn’t expect.

  • I didn’t expect to have a small lizard in my house that I just cannot seem to trap.
  • I didn’t expect to have a small garden atrium in the middle of our home.  That’s where the lizard came from.
  • I didn’t expect to go to a spinning class on someone’s back porch/patio without any air conditioning or fans in 70 degree weather.  My first class was free so I gave it a try.
  • I didn’t expect for so many people (at our church) to speak English so well.
  • I didn’t expect to see a monkey and two parrots in the wild.  “The wild” is an hour from here.
  • I didn’t expect to have to cohabitate with ants in the house.  They drive me crazy!  Little itty bitty ones and big red ones will eat/drink anything left on any surface for over 10 minutes –including a glass of water!

  • I didn’t expect to experience the worst hailstorm in more than 58 years. 
  • I didn’t expect to enjoy my first Día del Niño (Children’s Day).*
  • I didn’t expect for people walking down the street not to give eye contact nor greet each other.**
  • I didn’t expect for Wendy’s to have the biggest children’s play area out of all of the fast food restaurants.  They even have a party room!
  • I didn’t expect for Wendy’s to serve chicken legs and nachos in addition to what we’re accustomed.
  • I didn’t expect for there to be so much recycling – yea!
  • I didn’t expect to have to sweep so much.  Everything is tile and we keep the front door open practically all day so dust and such comes in (don’t worry, we’re at home).
  • I didn’t expect for my high school Spanish teacher’s family to live less than two miles from our house!
  • I didn’t expect for it to be a requirement for everyone entering the pool to have to wear swim caps.
  • I didn’t expect to have my water turned off from 8a-5p without any prior notice so that men down the street could work on the pipes.

*I always thought that it was an unnecessary holiday (also celebrated in Mexico, but in April) since kids get whatever they want every day, but after seeing David have so much fun at school and getting a gift from his teachers, his happiness made me appreciate the day.  On the way home from school he innocently asked me if it was his birthday.
**This was the case in Mexico City too, but I forgot since I haven’t lived there in twelve years.